Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Tisk, Tisk... What to do on a Saturday Afternoon


Greetings everyone,

The other day I was talking about the word love, and putting it into action. Though this isn’t exactly an example of what I was speaking of then I must say I have this insatiable love for travel and for good food so when I come across something really delicious I rave about it to my friends.

Last weekend My GF, her sister and I found ourselves up in Big Bear for an afternoon outing and hunger came right along with us. We spotted a restaurant we had never sampled and decided to give it a try. Appropriately, for myself at least, this restaurant had several German items on the menu and I believe they love the tang of vinegar as much as I do. Now, mind you, I am no expert on national foods or what is traditionally the proper ways to have them served, but my love for the bite and tang of vinegar certainly got fed to my great satisfaction. The service was very personable too and that made it a meal for the books. So to put my love for food into verb form I have to rave about it and urge you all to go up there and give it a try sometime.

I have a craving for foods that are loaded with vinegar and so I practically live on salads and stuff in tangy marinades so little did I know that an innocent looking resort cabin styled place would be such a treat. Thanks Dan and Colleen for the very friendly service and the best meal I have had in a long time – one I will remember often.

I had Sauerbraten (pot roast marinated long in vinegar before cooking – tender and yummy!) served with wonderful potato pancakes and the traditional sides of red cabbage and sauerkraut, apple sauce and a dollop of sour cream – I was in an epicurean’s corner of heaven. Sharing bites of the other’s foods I found more great flavors; the soups especially – French Onion & Beef Vegetable – were rich and delicious (rich enough to be meals in themselves) and the German Potato salad was just like what my mom used to make when I was young. There is that tang again – I hated it when I was small but I love it now! Another amazing thing about this meal was the price – very reasonable at about 15 bucks each.

The new owners have been running this place for about 6 months now and are striving to get their new place off the ground in style. They have made a great start! I would like to suggest that any of you that are out here in So. California make it a point to stop in at the Log Cabin Restaurant 39976 Big Bear Blvd., Big Bear Lake, CA 92315. Tell them Eva sent you.

Hugs,
Eva-Genevieve!

P.S.: I am thinking about organizing a luncheon outing to go up there sometime this summer perhaps – so keep an eye on my blog for details. – EG!

(Stock photo courtesy of Bigbearlake.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment