Wednesday, December 17, 2008

By way of introduction: How I came to choose my name





I was talking to a friend recently and the subject of how I chose my new name came up and I thought it a good way to introduce myself to you here. As I go along with this “Living Transgender…” project, I think it is important that you know who I am and just how I came to be here. Eventually I hope to post my entire life story – likely on a different and more personal site because it is a very long and involved story -but I can from time to time share some of it with you all so you get a bit of insight into the life of one girl who is living transgender quite happily.

Obviously, when one begins crossing genders in earnest, a new gender-matched name is needed. I started out as Evan Kent Scarborough (that was him - over there on the right 10 years ago) and I love the name my parents gave me. I did not want to seem disrespectful so I tried to stay with as much of it as possible.

My first name was easy – the old name was Evan and almost the same sound is heard in Eva if both the “E” and “a” employ the short vowel sound. And so I wound up, symbolically too, chopping off the “n” and rolling with Eva, but instead of a Gaelic sort of sound it now seemed a bit French.


I fell in love with the name Genevieve when I heard what it means in a sci-fi book, by Elizabeth Bear, I was reading at the time I was making the decision to transition. The main character – that just happened to be a French-Canadian gal – was undergoing a transition of her own and I saw many parallels to what many trans-folk go through with all the medical procedures and emotional wrangling that accompanies drastic changes. Because of my revised first name I wanted to keep a French sort of sound too.

I just happened to need a replacement for my old middle name at that point too – I mean, really, what can one do to make Kent sound fem? (Kendra? Not)! I thought about Ruth too - I have loved that name longer than you can imagine, but it happened to be my ex-wife's middle name so that didn't work, but Genevieve fit my life perfectly (but please avoid all long vowel sounds when pronouncing it). It speaks of Genesis - God's creative work - in the "Gene", and of God breathing life into His creation in the "vieve". The "!" is my way of saying thanks to Him every time I write my name, and when I speak it you can hear it there too. That is also why you will see one even when I just use my initials – it is simply my way of giving credit where I believe it is due.

I now like the sound of the name when I put the first and middle together even better – Eva-Genevieve! It sounded like they way in my mind I imagined would fit the lady I was to become one day. Kind of sexy, flirty, haughty at times and a bit vain, but down to earth and serious when necessary - sort of the way I feel these days at about 2-1/2 years into transition.

And it even survives the yes-mother test... "Eva Genevieve Scarborough! You get down here this instant and take off those boy's clothes, right now!" "Yes, mother." You see - it sounds just right!


Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find this blog/vlog interesting enough to visit from time to time and to tell your friends about. We can swap links if you wish.

Hugs and blessings,
Eva-Genevieve! Scarborough
evagenevieve@yahoo.com
Human
Christian
Transgendered
Advocate for civil-rights and Faith without Prejudice
On Camera Host/Moderator/Coordinator - Living Transgender in American Society Today, 2008

http://www.veoh.com/channels/livingtransgender
http://livingtransgender.blogspot.com/


3 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! Welcome to the world of blogging! I have one and I love it. What a beautiful post, Eva. I've often wondered if I had to choose my own name, what would it be? So far, nothing sounds as good as the one my parents gave me so I guess I'll live with it (actually, I love my name). And Ruth is my middle name!

    I have several blogs I visit every day. I'm happy to add yours to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donita. Thanks!
    Did you know your name passes the "yes-mother" test too with Ruth in there. Try it!
    See you soon.
    Hugs, Eva!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the rapid advances in knowledge, several techniques were used to create the vagina; however, Dr. Juta”s technique is one of a kind, “The Scarless Sexchange” wherein there will be no visible scar on the labia majora after the operation. Certainly, he is the only doctor performing a high quality SRS “Scarless Sex change” in Thailand today. With Dr. Juta, you can achieve a successful outcome both in appearance and function, and there are far lesser incidents of complications. The goal of Doctor Juta is to create female sexual organs that look as natural as possible and that allow as much sexual arousal as possible.
    http://scarlesssrsthailand.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete